Last Updated on June 21, 2022 by James Ewen
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and, when it comes to growing a successful business, you can’t afford to have a link that’s anything less than strong. The first step to building an unstoppable team for your company is to hire the right candidates from the get-go. That’s why you need a Core HR solution.
With these three tips, you’ll be well on your way to a chain that’s truly unbreakable.
#1 Get Creative with Recruiting
Don’t let your recruiting efforts fizzle on your website. While a posting on your careers page is a must, make sure you’re also expanding your recruitment horizons by placing job listings on online platforms like:
- Handshake – This virtual recruitment service makes it easier than ever to nab promising candidates from a wide pool of top-tier university students searching for a job in your industry.
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn connects millions of enthusiastic professionals, industry veterans, and recent grads in an easy-to-search digital networking space. Take advantage of its premium features and messaging capabilities to reach out directly to the professionals that catch your eye (like in dating, sometimes you have to make the first move).
- Social media – Platforms like YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and more are practically overflowing with young professionals showing off their talents, skills, and passions. For candidates that break the mold, reach out to smaller influencers, and see who bites. And who knows? They might be a great catch.
#2 Cast a Wide Net
A person is far more than their college GPA and resume. Sometimes, a piece of paper doesn’t do a candidate justice. While straight-arrow, by-the-book candidates are highly valuable, try to diversify your team by sprinkling in some creative thinkers with unorthodox backgrounds.
Consider out-of-the-box candidates like:
- Older professionals with deep-rooted IT skills in another field—their years of experience in collaboration and unique know-how can do wonders for your team.
- People with non-traditional educational paths. Maybe they went to trade school and are brilliant welders with a penchant for writing. Perhaps they’re high school grads who taught themselves how to code. Whatever it may be, a lack of a standard college education doesn’t have to be a flaw—it can be what sets them apart. Here is an article by Lensa which talks about high paying jobs that do not necessarily need a qualification or a college degree.
However, make sure you’re supplementing your interviews and resume checks with some good ol’ vetting. No matter how shiny your new hire’s CV or how strapping their suit, you can never go wrong with a background check and a quick look at their tradeline. Or take some inspiration and use skills testing during the hiring process.
#3 Know How to Sell Yourself
If you want to hire the best talent in your industry, or you are looking at hiring inside sales representation you’ll need to foster a company culture that shines brighter than the rest, especially if you’re a smaller business. If you don’t have the capital to offer the pay and benefits that larger companies can, you must know how to sell yourself to highly coveted candidates, just like you would to potential investors. It’s also a great idea to have an employee onboarding process and employee onboarding software to start off as you mean to go on.
While some professionals may turn away from a growing company, you just need to focus on the ones that are attracted to your immense potential. To make them see the light, you must offer:
- A clear and compelling mission and vision for your company and its employees.
- A specific and accurate job description with plenty of room to grow.
- A genuine belief in your minimum viable product or service.
- An attractive set of values and company culture.
- A well-designed employee onboarding experience.
Don’t Settle for Anything Less Than Excellent
Hiring talent is a two-way street. If you want to hire impressive candidates, you’ll need to impress them too. No matter what, building your A-Team takes time. Be patient, don’t settle, and you’ll get there eventually. Happy hiring.
James is the head of marketing at Tamoco